Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Tale Too Good To Be True

In Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities, one of my favorites, by the way, the degenerate character of Sydney Carton sneakily steps in to sacrifice his life for Charles Darnay at the end of the book (sorry if I've spoiled it for you).  Charles was a good man in the story who was to be executed for being from the wrong family.   Sydney dies in his place because of his love for Charles' wife, Lucie, so she can have the family she deserves.  It's a great novel and well worth reading.   But as good as that tale is I know one better.

Paul says in Romans 5:8, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  I'm still amazed that God loves us so much that He'd allow Jesus to go to the cross to destroy sin and give us life.  Sadly, that amazement has translated into disbelief in times past.

Sometimes it seems easier to think that God loved us when we were still unbelievers than when we sin as His children. Gladly, His love does not wane for Paul tells us at the start of the chapter, "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."  Because our shame has been removed, we're no longer at odds with the Father.  On a side note, God has never been at odds with us.  If that were so, He would've never sent Jesus.  We were his enemies, not the other way around.

Due to our peaceful accord, Paul also tells us that "we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand."  The Father favors us right now, not just at salvation.  Notice the way I said that.  I usually hear, "God shows us favor," or "God has showed us favor."  I prefer "God favors us".  To me it's the difference between "showing love" and actually loving.  I know, it's probably just semantics but I like it.

I love walking in the Father's peace and favor.  I know that even when I make a royal mess of things, He still loves me and is always with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment