Monday, August 30, 2010

No Fear

In younger times, when I or one of my friends did or were thinking of doing something wrong, we'd say that God recorded it on tape (no DVDs back then).  When we got to heaven, He would roll out a TV on a metal cart and press play.  Then we'd get to see all the sins that hadn't been forgiven.  In fact, it used to scare me when a preacher would say that if I died with any unconfessed sin in my life, I'd be left out of heaven.

Thankfully, Paul said in Romans 8:1-2, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin of death."  Think about it.  Not only did Jesus take away our past sin and guilt, He is taking care of our current sins and guilt as we walk in Him.  Now I added "as we walk in Him" because Paul follows with a discussion of being led by the Spirit.  If we're not walking in relationship with the Father, it makes it difficult for Him to help us in our present predicaments or for us to know that He is offering assistance.

So according to Paul, we no longer need fear God's VCR.  Furthermore, Paul points out later in the chapter (v. 15), "For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship.  And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.'"  I pointed out in a previous post that we are His children, not His servants.  We no longer live in fear, but in the Father's love.

Living in God's love is not always easy, but it's certainly worthwhile.  As Paul proclaims, "But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness."  Walking away from, or dying to, our self is painful, but running to God, or being resurrected daily, is priceless.

Besides, instead of a videotape, I think instant replay would be much more effective.  Thankfully, Father doesn't do that either.

No comments:

Post a Comment